CPCRI in a nutshell
- Regional Stations
- Research Centres
- AICRP on Palms
- The Indian Society for Plantation Crops
- Staff profile
Regional Station, KAYAMKULAM
Head of the Station : Dr. Krishnakumar V.
The Central Coconut Research Station (CCRS) at Kayamkulam was established in 1948 by the Indian Central Coconut Committee. The CCRS had its origin in the erstwhile Agricultural Research Laboratory (Office of the Plant Pathologist) started in 1937, with its headquarters at Kollam and a field station at Kayamkulam mainly to tackle plant protection problems of coconut. The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) took over the administrative control of CCRS from 1st April, 1966 following the abolition of the Commodity Committees. With the establishment of Central Plantation Crops Research Institute (CPCRI) in 1970 at Kasaragod, Kayamkulam centre was established as one of the regional stations.
This station is located mid-way between Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi on the eastern side of National Highway 47, in Krishnapuram village on the Southern part of Alappuzha District. Geographically it is situated at 908' N latitude and 76o 30’ E longitude with an altitude of 3.05m above MSL.
The mean maximum temperature is 320C. The annual rainfall varies between 1697 mm and 3285 mm and the mean annual rainfall is 2564 mm.
Sandy to Loamy Sand pH : 5.0 to 6.0
Farm and experimental fields total area is 24.17 ha