The Coconut Research Station at Kasaragod in Kerala was initially established in 1916 by the then Government of Madras and subsequently it was taken over by the Indian Central Coconut Committee in 1948. Central Plantation Crops Research Institute (CPCRI) was established in 1970 as one of the agricultural research institutes in the National Agricultural Research System (NARS) under the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
Shri Oommen Chandy, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Kerala visited Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kasaragod on 18th April 2013. He made a quick visit to the different laboratories and field experiments, mainly the experiment on neera collection and the Agro-Processing Complex. He appreciated the outcomes of research from CPCRI.